Too often our kids are given items that get thrown to the side after a few minutes of play. Christmas gifts are the ultimate victims of this act. Your child can receive thirty new toys for Christmas, what is a child to do with so many new items? Throw them in a pile and move on! This holiday season give the gift of an experience! Here are some reasons why:
Provides long-lasting enjoyment: Although a gift certificate, itinerary or brochure may not seem like a “wow!” gift for your child, the joy will last longer. A child will have the event or trip to look forward to after the holidays.
Memories to last: Although your child may seem to want that $50 Paw Patrol fire truck, the novelty is short-lived. Years from now, your child won’t remember who got that fire truck, or the way it made him or her feel. A trip to the zoo; however, will remain fresh in your child’s mind for years to come.
It’s a bonding moment: Not only are you giving your child a memory to last, but you’re also creating a bond to stay too. Yes, one can have vivid memories of baking with mom or fishing with dad, but unique experiences provide one-of-a-kind memories from a new environment. It gives you an opportunity to play with your child outside of the usual day-to-day parenting tasks.
It doesn’t need to be expensive: Your child will love having an experience saved for a day of boredom. Consider a $20 credit to Chuck E. Cheese or a gift card to a movie theatre. These kinds of experiences give your child some control of a “day out” and won’t break the bank.
Experiences can be wrapped: If you’re concerned your child won’t have a physical gift to open when you gift an experience, wrap a “clue” or an accessory. For example, if you gift your child with jet-skiing at the beach, wrap a new bathing suit or suntan lotion with the certificate.
Here are some of our suggestions for local experiences:
- Ziplining or Whitewater Rafting from Whitewater Express
- Divine DinnersCooking Class for Kids
- Painting Experience at Bareware Pottery or Painting with a Twist
- Jump Passes at Launch Trampoline Park
- Gift card to Hollywood Connectionor Stars & Strikes
- Admission to Dino Villagein Pine Mountain
- A show at the RiverCenter , Rosie Revere, Engineer; Finding Neverland.
- Admission to Rock Ranch
- A trip to Atlanta to see Georgia Aquarium, Legoland, The Zoo, a puppet show, and so much more
- Tickets for ice skating at Columbus Ice Rink
- Acting classes at Springer Theatre
- Day pass to Treadstone Climbing
- Playtime at Chuck-e-Cheese
- An Escape Room experience for teenagers
- Passes for Wild Animal Safari
- Overnight Stay at Great Wolf Lodge
- Tickets for event at The Civic Center, Harlem Globe Trotters, Disney on Ice, Sesame Street Live, Traxxas Monster Truck Tour
- Day Spa Treatment from Sunday’s Spa
- Yoga Class at Riverflow Yoga
- Aerial Class (Pole, Lyra or Silks) at Up! Factory
- Float Therapy session from Uptown Float
- Date night cooking class from Divine Dinners
- Date night wine tasting at Ben’s Chophouse
- Date night painting at Painting with a Twist
- Glass Fusion Class at Poetry in Glass
- Stay at Callaway Gardens
- Flying lessons with Airventures
- Tickets to Columbus Lions game
- Bowling at Stars & Strikes
- Beer Tasting at Omaha Brewing Company
- Fly fishing lessons with Whitewater Express
- NASCAR Experience at Atlanta Speedway
- Skydiving in Thomaston
- Historic, battle or foodie tour by Vicinity Tours
- Tickets to a Braves Game
- An Escape Room experience
- Day pass to Treadstone Climbing