Finding the right gift, the one that doesn’t get forgotten in a drawer or buried in the closet, can be time-consuming and frustrating for parents. In fact, surveys have shown that up to two-thirds of the presents we give our kids aren’t wanted or valued by them.
Here’s a gift idea that has lasting value. Studies confirm that kids value experiences more than material goods. They would rather be taken on a new adventure or revisit a favorite family vacation spot than be given a new plaything. Experiences create many layers of value as kids anticipate exploring new surroundings or revisiting familiar traditions such as cooking over a campfire. Long afterwards, they continue to relive the trip in their memories, retelling it to family and friends. Even the mishaps morph into positive, long-lasting memories like the trip with five flat tires and a blowout, or the one when the raccoons got in the cooler and ate all the sandwiches, or the time mom forgot the swimsuits and everyone went swimming in the river wearing…. well, that’s a family secret!
Not surprisingly, kids aren’t the only ones who value new experiences more than getting things. Similar studies have shown that adults who spend their money doing things are happier than those who spend their money buying possessions. Now we just have to solve the problem of choosing vacations that are to everyone’s liking!
Here are some ideas for some “experiences” that will make good gifts for your children:
- Ziplining or Whitewater Rafting from Whitewater Express
- Divine Dinners Cooking Class for Kids
- Painting Experience at Bareware Pottery or Painting with a Twist
- Jump Passes at Launch Trampoline Park
- Gift card to Hollywood Connection or Stars & Strikes
- Admission to Dino Village in Pine Mountain
- A show at the RiverCenter, upcoming shows include Charlie Brown Christmas, Cinderella, Dragons love Tacos, Olate Dogs, Rainbow Fish
- Admission to Rock Ranch
- A trip to Atlanta to see Georgia Aquarium, Legoland, The Zoo, a puppet show, and so much more
- Tickets for ice skating at Columbus Ice Rink
- Acting classes at Springer Theatre
- Day pass to Treadstone Climbing
- An Escape Room experience for teenagers